I have been a meditator and meditation teacher for many years. I have continually heard from people who have tried it that they cannot meditate. When I ask why, the answer is always the same – “my mind is too busy! It won’t stop and drives me crazy!”
The biggest myth around meditation is that one must have a quiet mind in order to meditate. Nothing could be further from the truth. Meditation is a tool to use to quiet the mind, and take the stress out of the body, thus promoting good health and well-being. It has been proven by medical documentation that it does just that, AND can reverse the aging process from 2-5yrs. In fact the busier we are, the more we need meditation. Here is a suggestion of how to meditate:
- Find a quiet spot and turn off that phone! The world can wait 15-30 minutes.
- If possible light a candle – this helps the mind to start getting ready to quiet down.
- Sit in a comfortable position, if possible without your spine touching anything, so the energy canflow up and down your spine freely. Free flowing energy helps to clear the mind.
- Mentally go through and RELAX the top of your scalp, eyes, jaw, shoulders and navel. Drop the tongue off the roof of the mouth and relax it.
- Take three long deep breaths, breathing in light and breathing out stress, while keeping the tongue down and navel relaxed. Notice that IMMEDIATELY your mind slows way down. It can actually go blank for a few seconds! If the tongue is down, the mind has to quiet.
- If you need to open your eyes and gaze at the candle flame, do so. Then close your eyes and pretend you are looking at a blank slate in front of you.
- In a couple of seconds the mind will start jibber jabbering away, because it is RELEASING all the stress it has accumulated. The only thing you need to do is not follow any of the thoughts. Just breathe, put tongue down, relax navel and repeat that process for the next 15-30 minutes.
Do not worry how busy your mind is, just keep coming back to the candlelight and/or a word in your mind, such as peace, love, courage or whatever word you need for inner harmony. If you feel you need to do it 100 times, do it. It is all stress releasing. If you get frustrated and give up, it will just be waiting for you the next time you come back to it. Each day builds on the other, as it has an accumulative effect, so make it a regular habit. Your body, mind and spirit will thank you for it! Meditation improves the quality of your life, what you do, and actually shortens the time you do it!
Do not get caught in the second myth/illusion, “there is not enough time in the day for me to mediate.” I will tell you based on personal experience and that of others – it literally will save you time, and make you feel a lot better. Try it and let me know how it turns out.